Monday, October 11, 2010

A Boy's Life-- Hanna Rosin

Before even reading this article, I knew I would enjoy it. I love psychology a great deal, and even more so, I know a child who actually has gender-identity disorder. This article not only helped me to better understand the young boy that I know, but it also gave me more insight into how exactly it must feel to raise a transgender child.
I really liked the way Rosin began this article. She opens with, "The local newspaper recorded that Brandon Simms was the first millennium baby born in his tiny southern town, at 12:50 a.m. He weighed eight pounds, two ounces..." She sets up the story by having Brandon appear like every other child in this world. She does not begin by saying he was strange or looking particularly feminine. She begins the story, setting Brandon as a human being, just like everyone else. He never deserves to be treated with any less respect.
Rosin went on to say, "The blockers put teens in a state of suspended development. They prevent boys from growing facial and body hair and an Adam’s apple, or developing a deep voice or any of the other physical characteristics that a male-to-female transsexual would later spend tens of thousands of dollars to reverse. They allow girls to grow taller, and prevent them from getting breasts or a period." I found this to be incredible! I didn't really know that children/adolescents could be injected with "blockers" to sway them to develop into the opposite gender. Blockers sounds a bit like steroids to me. I wondered if this was at all unhealthy. However, blockers seem to be a sensible decision because it most likely helps children with gender-identity disorder feel more secure in their own skin. And luckily, for those who are unhappy, "blockers are entirely reversible; should a child change his or her mind about becoming the other gender, a doctor can stop the drugs and normal puberty will begin."
I read on and liked Tina Simms' interaction with Jill, a homosexual mother who also was at the conference for transgender children. Jill said, "I already legally changed [my daughter's] name and called all the parents at the school. Then, when he’s in eighth grade, we’ll take him to the [endocrinologist] and get the blockers, and no one will ever know. He’ll just sail right through.” I found this to be really interesting. First of all, I felt such relief knowing that this young transgender child had such a supportive parent. I know my parents would be able to tolerate it if my sister or I happened to be transgendered, but not all parents are as understanding. Secondly, I loved that I could pick up a sense of hope and acceptance in Jill. She sounded completely confident and self-assured in the fact that her daughter will be able to live somewhat comfortably as a male.
I then tried to picture how difficult it must be to keep a secret from society, and how much more difficult it might be if society slowly began to know about it and critique it. I couldn't even imagine life in Tina's shoes, trying to raise a child confidently, knowing that society did not approve of his lifestyle or behaviors: "In Brandon’s case, for example, doubt would force Tina to consider that if she began letting him dress as a girl, she would be defying the conventions of her small town, and the majority of psychiatric experts, who advise strongly against the practice." But as the story concludes, we see Tina accept her son's gender-identity disorder with incredible strength: "That morning, Tina was meeting with Bridget’s principal, and the principal of a nearby school, to see if she could transfer. “I want her to be known as Bridget, not Bridget-who-used-to-be-Brandon.”
Rosin provided me with some statistics and a bit of history on the subject, which engrossed me tremendously. I had no idea that gender-identity disorder is rapidly becoming more common. I wondered what might have caused the significant statistical increase. But as I read on, I learned that the media actually has a great influence over children and their gender. I also was suprised to learn that as time progresses, gender-identity disorder is becoming more and more prevalent in younger children: "Dr. Peggy Cohen-Kettenis, who runs the main clinic in the Netherlands, has seen the average age of her patients plummet since 2002." I was intrigued by the fact that the endocriologist plays such a large role in this, as opposed to a psychologist. As a Diabetic, I am very familiar with the support of an endocrinoloist.
Rosin goes on to describe the two male twins, "one of whom had suffered a botched circumcision that had burned off most of his penis." I remember learning about that in my psychology course in high school. The "nature vs. nuture" controversy" really plays a role here. Rosin says that, "Money reported on Reimer’s fabulous progress, writing that “she” showed an avid interest in dolls and dollhouses, that she preferred dresses, hair ribbons, and frilly blouses." This supports the "nurture-side" of the theory. However, as David Reimer grew up, it was said that he hadn't ever really "adjusted to being a girl at all. He wanted only to build forts and play with his brother’s dump trucks, and insisted that he should pee standing up. He was a social disaster at school, beating up other kids and misbehaving in class." This supports the "nature-side" of the theory. Reimer was informed of his unknown gender change at age 14. And at age 38, after battling years of confusion and depression, he took his own life. This entire situation was very sad and complex; it clearly shows how significant and life-changing gender-identity truly is.
Rosin continues and references a quote by Dr. Milton Diamond, an expert on human sexuality at the University of Hawaii. He said, "Maybe we really have to think … that we don’t come to this world neutral; that we come to this world with some degree of maleness and femaleness which will transcend whatever the society wants to put into [us]...To him, these cases are a 'confirmation' that 'the biggest sex organ is not between the legs but between the ears.'" I found this statement to be incredibly interesting and I happen to really agree with it. I believe that our sex determines our "maleness" and/or "femaleness" to a certain extent, and that society and care shape the rest. It really is a pure combination of "nature" and "nuture." Gender isn't so much decided by our sex organs, but instead by our mindset. And interestingly enough, studies have shown that “'we can’t [definitely] tell a pre-gay from a pre-transsexual at 8.'" The stories that Rosin includes in this article--about John and about Chris--really illustrated that nothing is definite, certain or permanent in children. Discoveries take time.
The topic of this article reminded me of a young boy that I used to know. I used to be a part of a children's theater called Stage Left Children's Theater--one of the most incredible groups I have ever been a part of. I remember the director's friend came in with her son and her daughter, one evening. Her son was as sweet as could be, but I could tell there was something extra special about him. I found out that he struggled with gender-identity disorder. I considered this to be a pretty sensible diagnosis, seeing as how he would come to the theater decked out in his sister's princess shoes, party dresses and jewelry. We all were so glad to have him there and even more so, we were thrilled that he was comfortable enough to express himself. When I saw the picture of Brandon Simms within this article, I immediately thought of that young boy from Stage Left. I think about him often, and from what I hear, he is doing well.
Overall, I found this to be a captivating article. I thought it was well-written, relatable (because I know a transgender child) and jam-packed with fascinating information.

No comments:

Post a Comment