Thursday, February 10, 2011

Personal Narrative

To me, a personal narrative is a factual story of an individual's personal experience. It involves recalling, retelling and reliving an experience. It is a way for a person to express their deepest, most truthful thoughts. Personal narratives can be communicated through...

*Writing [in a "first person narrative" perspective:] (i.e., essay, letter, article, poem, email, story...)
*Visual arts (i.e., movie, play/musical, television show...)
*Audio methods (i.e., song, speech, presentation...)

I think the purpose of a personal narrative is to share and revisit a moment of the past. Sometimes, people construct personal narratives to vent; others, to convey to others how it felt to go through what they did. The intention is to show, not tell, an experience.

The first step to telling a personal narrative is to brainstorm. I don't usually find brainstorming to be difficult; I enjoy collecting, organizing and formatting my ideas. I tend to find the writing process more difficult.

So far, I've come up with the following ideas to write my Personal Narrative paper on:
*Beauty and the Beast- I auditioned for this show at a local community theatre and was not cast as the part I wanted. This was an emotional struggle for me.
*Fiddler on the Roof- I was in this show 8-years ago, when I was in the 5th grade. I auditioned for the part of "Hodel" but was not cast because over the course of rehearsal time, I was going to miss a few days to do Diabetic-pump training.
*Diabetes (general)- This disease has changed me in so many ways; however, it will never take away my love for theatre.

I'm not quite sure which of these I am planning to write about; I remember them all quite vividly and have an emotional relationship with each story.

No comments:

Post a Comment